Where and How to Create and Start Your Blog: A Step-by-Step Guide
You have accumulated a lot of useful experience that you want to share with other users. Naturally, the ultimate goal is to attract new customers and increase sales. How can this be achieved?
Start a blog. Unlike social media, where your content lives for days, articles have been attracting new readers for years. As long as people use search, blogs remain relevant.
In addition, content marketing is gaining popularity right now. A site with useful articles is one of its types.
So let’s figure it out …
Why do you need a blog?
In addition to the obvious advantage in the form of increased sales, with the help of a blog, you can:
- Create an image of an expert
Share life hacks from your business and people will be drawn to you. In particular, your future clients. Don’t be afraid that if you explain in detail how to set up your ads, you will lose potential buyers. Many people read articles and then hire an author to do the work for them.
- Understand your audience better
A blog is a great opportunity not only to tell your story, but also to hear your readers in the comments. Their questions are new topics for articles. Conveniently.
- Become a good writer
Writing is about communication. You write down your thoughts and introduce them to your readers. Do they agree or not. As a result, a discussion arises. The more you practice, the better you get. Over time, this skill will spread to other texts: books, presentations, resumes, or postcards.
- Learn to highlight important things
To write good writing, you need to filter information carefully. You cannot post articles about every event or thought. Blogging is an ongoing process of choosing a topic.
What do you need to know before starting your blog?
Do you think you need to take dozens of copywriting courses to be successful? This is not true. The simpler and clearer you write, the better your chances of success. Get closer to your readers. Communicate in their language. Write the way you usually speak.
Second misconception: you think you need to be an expert to start blogging. A good option is a description of attempts to succeed in a particular activity (put this in the form of cases). Instead of dry theory and instructive tone, people prefer stories – ups and downs, mistakes and successes.
So, you don’t need to be an expert on the subject and a cool copywriter. There is only one thing you need to get started – a passion for your topic. You should burn with it, have a desire to take everything apart. To dream about how you do what you write about. Is it about you? Then you can create your blog.
Believe me, there will be readers.
Where can I blog for free?
You have 2 options for creating a blog: using free services and registering your own domain.
Let’s start with the 1st. What are its disadvantages?
- You will receive a website address that looks like yourblog.blogspot.com, yourblog.tumblr.com. Not very pretty, right? Of course, you can purchase a more descriptive domain and connect it to your site, but you have to pay money. The minimum is for the domain, and sometimes for the platform itself – for the connection.
- Restrictions on adding additional plugins, uploading photos and videos, changing the appearance, creating an archive. Prepare for the fact that some of the brilliant ideas you will not be able to implement.
- The blog does not belong to you. It will be posted on someone else’s web resource. And if the owner of the service complains about you, the blog can be deleted. Irrevocably. It is unpleasant.
On the other hand, free services are great for starting your writing career and testing your idea. Then you can transfer all the information to a brand new site on your hosting and domain.
Let’s take a look at 2 of the most popular free services:
Since Blogger is owned by Google, you will have access to tools like AdSense, Google Analytics, etc. The platform is great for brand creators who want to generate ad revenue without investing money, and aspiring authors.
- Completely free and easy to use service.
- Adsense ads can be placed.
- There is access to the HTML code and additional settings for the appearance and functionality of the site.
- Limited themes and storage space.
- Service dependency.
- The site will have .blogspot in the header.
It is a mixture of social media with a blog. Among the advantages are the virality of the service itself and the ability to quickly gather an audience. Suitable for microblogging.
- Unlimited storage.
- Approximately 1000 themes to choose from.
- Access to HTML and CSS + due to this flexible customization of the appearance of the blog.
- Complicated process of backing up and importing content from other platforms.
- More tailored for a foreign audience.
How to start blogging?
1. Come up with a theme and title
Decide what you want to write about.
This could be:
- Hobby, hobby, interests: cooking, travel, fashion, sports, cars.
- Life experience. Tell us about lessons, life hacks, share your knowledge.
- Personal blog. You can write about everything: everyday things, thoughts, news. But still try to stick to 1-2 topics.
Create a portrait of your reader. Who is this man / woman? How old is it? What does he do? What is watching and reading? Describe the person for whom you are writing texts as much as possible.
Now choose a title that your audience understands. Add keywords that readers will find you by.
2. Choose a hosting for your blog and register a domain
The domain name is the name of your blog in English (you can use only basic words) and the extension .com, .net, .org, etc. Every year their number increases, added a lot of case, such as .academy, .agency, .bar, .blackfriday, .boutique, .business, .cafe, .city, .clothing, .coach, .coffee etc . You can also choose a geographic extension: .ru, .ua, .by.
Choose a few options and check if the domain is free. If the desired title is already taken by someone else, try a different extension or title.
Web hosting is the file storage that hosts your website. Sometimes, when paying for hosting, you get a domain name as a gift. For the first year.
When choosing a hosting, pay attention to:
- page loading speed;
- the presence of automatic backup of the blog (the more often the better);
- responsiveness of technical support;
Remember that you need to pay for the domain and hosting all the time, most often once a year. Therefore, do not forget to add these amounts to your budget. And set a reminder for the next payment date. The fact is that if by the end of the domain name you do not pay for the next period, anyone can take your name. And late payment for hosting can cost you your entire site. It will simply be removed.
3. Choose a platform and set up a blog
Where can I blog? On popular CMS such as WordPress, Joomla, Drupal.
Most authors choose WordPress. Among the main advantages:
- Simplicity and ease of setup – you start working immediately, without lengthy study of instructions for use (unlike Drupal, in which I have not figured out to the end).
- Tons of free templates and plugins to personalize your blog.
- A support forum that will help you solve almost any issue, and a lot of articles on setting up certain functions.
- Constant updating of the platform and improving its security against hacker attacks.
- Focusing primarily on blogging.
The blog setup includes:
- change of blog design;
- adding and configuring plugins.
4. Write and publish your first post
It’s time to fill your blog with quality content.
- select the topic you want to expand;
- study materials on the net if you are not writing from your own experience;
- make the structure of the article – a list of the main points;
- open each of them;
- add a post to the site, design it in the console and publish it.
Pick the next topic and go through all the points again. The more articles, the more visitors and potential customers.
5. Promote your blog
Quality content promotes itself. But let’s help him become more popular. Moreover, Google will take into account all your efforts.
What methods can you use:
It is important for you not only to attract new readers, but also to return your first visitors. To do this, add a subscription form after the article or in the side menu. You can do this using your mailing service plugin.
Add a call “Subscribe to receive news about publications” and send an email after adding an article to the site.
. Social networks
Want more views? Share the link to the article with your friends and subscribers. Each repost of such an entry is taken into account by the search engine when ranking the article.
Publishing guest posts
A great way to collect more backlinks for your website. Moreover, many large sites will gladly post useful content.Search for the topic you are writing about and find popular blogs with your target audience.Study 10-15 articles with a lot of views and likes to understand the style of the site and the direction of the topics.Determine what you can do to help.Find the page with the terms of cooperation and study it carefully.Write a post, send it and wait for a response.Don’t be discouraged if your article is not accepted the first time. Try, write, knock. So you will get a rewarding experience, about which you will write a text later.
You decided on a theme, registered a domain name, chose hosting, installed a CMS, updated the theme, added plugins, outlined the main steps to promote the site and published the first article.
Create a content plan for your blog and start posting articles consistently. This will attract more readers who will eventually become your regular customers. After all, high-quality content is the most reliable hook.